Friday 26 November 2010

Danmark /København/ (II)

Apart from getting properly smashed, another first in CPH was cycling in town. If we don’t count the lame cycle tracks in Shatin, I really can’t say I’ve ridden on a bike properly as a means of transport.

Of course, if it weren’t for Kev, I would NEVER dare to risk my life like that. I mean seriously, CPH residents are all pros when it comes to cycling. While I was shakily navigating my way, hoping not to bump into anybody (or anything for that matter), they just whished passed me like a gasp of wind! And one thing I don’t understand is how they can balance themselves without sitting on the saddle. That’s probably how they avoid a painful bum with all the cobbled streets. The bumpy roads didn’t go too well with my butt I have to say!



I also got confused as to which way to look at. I mean first thing first, we’re cycling on the WRONG side of the road, as is the whole of Europe apart from Britain :) That’s Challenge No.1. No.2 was I didn’t know which light to refer to. I don’t understand how sometimes we could beat the light and sometimes we must wait patiently for it to go green. Again, if it weren’t for Kev, I would probably be dead meat.

Something funny happened while we were choosing a bike for me at the shop. I was shit scared and had to make sure my feet could touch the ground whenever I wanted to. But the fact that most Danes are quite tall meant that all the bikes I tried on were too high for me. In the end, the only one that suited me was a bike for kids, which was indeed a bit embarrassing (and the shopkeeper and Kev were like… you serious? You really want that?!) 


 

It was actually quite a fun experience minus the backside discomfort (and in perfect sunny weather even!) A whole different angle to enjoy a city. Just gotta look out for yourself and not get run over by the traffic! Ha :)

No comments:

Post a Comment